Return to Normal View

Service information


Works to your domestic property (such as those listed in the Do I need Planning Permission section) classifies as householder works.

Some householder developments can fall within 'Permitted Development'. This is work that is approved to be undertaken without the need for planning permission, assuming the works stay within certain limits.

In brief, the key changes include allowing the following without the need for planning permission.

  • larger single storey rear extensions to residential properties
  • larger extensions to industrial and warehousing premises, shops and offices
  • conversions between office and residential uses
  • more flexible uses of shops, offices, residential institutions and agricultural buildings
  • easier conversion of premises for school uses
  • telecom installations in conservation areas

Please note: If you want to carry out one of the above you will still need to notify us of what you want to do.

Full details of the criteria and procedures are contained within the legislation and on the Planning Portal's website.

Further information:

Contact us

Development Management
2nd Floor, Civic Centre
Darwall Street

Telephone 01922 652677
Textphone and TextBox 0845 111 2910

Visit us

At the First Stop Shop

Office opening times

  • Monday to Friday: 8.45am – 1.00pm

If you are unable to visit the office during the above hours, please email with your enquiry.

This page was last updated on 30 November 2016