Local History Centre
Welcome to Walsall Local History Centre, the Archive Service and Local Studies Library for Walsall Council.
- Tuesday 9.30am - 5.30pm
- Wednesday 9.30am - 7pm
- Thursday 9.30am - 5.30pm
- Saturday 9.30am - 1pm
General information and events
You can download our current general information leaflet and our latest public events leaflet in PDF format by clicking on the following links. The events leaflet will be revised from time to time as indicated:
- Walsall local history centre leaflet (PDF 723KB)
- Events leaflet January - June 2014 revised 18 January 2014 (PDF)
Both leaflets are also available in printed form from Walsall Local History Centre.
Attractions and facilities
- Free admission
- Free on site parking
- Disabled access
- Drinks facility
- Friendly, fully trained staff who can help with your family and local history inquiries
- Access to resources on family and local history ranging in date from 1225 to the present day
- A range of local history publications for sale
- Regular events
- Free introductory sessions on the Ancestry family history database and our family history resources
- An hour’s free session with an experienced family history researcher who will help if you are starting out on family history or have hit a brick wall
- Workshops and courses in family and local history
- In-house Photographic Service providing images to both private and commercial customers.
- A paid research service if you would like us to do your research for you
- A chance to explore stories from the past and contribute your memories
Jack Haddock's Transport Memories 4 February 2014 - 17 April 2014.
Walsall's well-known transport photographer, author and historian Jack Haddock receives a retrospective showing some of his finest photography from the 1950s onwards, the originals of which are held in his archive collection at the Centre. Comprising atmospheric location images of steam railways, buses and canals and their environs in Walsall borough.
Admission FREE during normal opening hours.
Next Public Talk: Cavalier Dogs and Roundhead Rogues
A talk by historian and well-known speaker Mary Bodfish. Monday 7 April 2014. 7pm for 7.30pm-9.00pm.
Mary Bodfish sheds light on the English Civil War of the mid-1600s, which had a great effect on our area, setting neighbour against neighbour.
Admission £2.00 Booking essential, telephone 01922 721305.
Eggstraordinary 'Eritage - Monday 14 April 2014. 11am-1pm.
Come along to Walsall Local History Centre to make amazing clay egg cups and decorate them with eggciting historical scenes! Perfect for Easter Sunday and your boiled eggs in the morning! Age 5-12 years, accompanied by an adult.
Cost £1.50 Booking essential, telephone 01922 721305.
Workshop for Adults
Beginning Family History
Saturday 29 March 2014 10am-1pm
How to get started on your family history, both online and off. Advice on how to begin using the information which you have and work backwards. Find out who your ancestors were and what they did.
Cost £8.00 Booking essential, telephone 01922 721305.
All users are welcome to visit us to carry out their inquiries in person and there is no charge for access to the centre. However if you are unable to visit us we can carry out research on your behalf for half an hour or a maximum of one hour. The charge for the research service is £8 per half hour. The search forms and details are available on this website under the menu heading services, copy and research service.
Keep in touch
Simply search for Walsall Local History Centre when logged in to Facebook, then click on Like to follow us once you have found our page.
Internet users can now sign up to follow Walsall Local History Centre’s news and announcements via Twitter messages by visiting the centre’s page at twitter.com/WalsallLHCentre The centre’s Flickr page may be viewed at www.flickr.com/photos/walsallhistory.
Walsall Local History Centre
Telephone (U.K.) 01922 721305- (International) +44 1922 721305
Fax (U.K.) 01922 634954 - (International) +44 1922 634954
This page was last updated on 06 March 2014