Local History Centre
Welcome to Walsall Local History Centre, the Archive Service and Local Studies Library for Walsall Council.
Please note that our telephone number changed to 01922 652212 on Tuesday 10 February 2015.
Christmas and New Year Opening Hours
Our opening hours over Christmas and New Year are as follow:
- Thursday 24 December OPEN AS USUAL 10am-1pm.
- Friday 25 December Christmas Day CLOSED.
- Saturday 26 December Boxing Day CLOSED.
- Monday 28 December CLOSED.
- Tuesday 29 December CLOSED.
- Wednesday 30 December OPEN AS USUAL 10am-7pm.
- Thursday 31 December OPEN AS USUAL 10am-1pm.
- Friday 1 January 2016 New Year’s Day CLOSED.
- Saturday 2 January 2016 OPEN AS USUAL 10am-1pm.
Normal Opening hours
- Monday CLOSED
- Tuesday 10am - 4pm
- Wednesday 10am - 7pm
- Thursday 10am - 1pm
- Friday CLOSED
- Saturday 10am - 1pm
- Sunday CLOSED
Please note We are unable to provide access to archives, maps or photographs between 1pm-2pm (Tues-Wed) due to insufficient staff. Family history materials and much of our local studies library are unaffected by this. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Changes to entry
Access to the Centre is now by controlled entry. Research Room users and all visitors should enter via the usual front door which will be unlocked at 10am, but there is now a buzzer adjacent to the door into the former Reception area and anyone entering will need to press the buzzer and announce themselves before being admitted.
The former Reception area is still used as a refreshment/lunch area by users/visitors.
All bags must be placed in a locker before entering the Research Room - you will find these through the door on your right marked Toilets as you enter.
Users and visitors may then enter the Research Room via the blue double doors to sign in at the Reception Desk on the left.
The above changes are necessitated by the level of staff cuts required to meet the budget savings which the service has been asked to make.
General information and events
You can download our current general information leaflet and our latest public events leaflet in PDF format by clicking on the following links. The events leaflet (updated 10 Feb 2015) will be revised from time to time as indicated. If in doubt please telephone 01922 652212:
The above linked downloads have not yet been modified to allow for the changes in opening hours as indicated above, and the general leaflet does not have our new telephone number, 01922 652212.
Both leaflets are also available in printed form from Walsall Local History Centre.
Historic school records being digitized
Walsall borough school log books and admission/discharge registers from 1914 and earlier, preserved at Walsall Local History Centre, have been sent for digitization.
While this is being done, they will be unavailable until further notice. If you need to consult these records, please contact the Archivist, Paul Ford, on 01922 652212.
Walsall Local History Centre blog
For more news and information, please read our blog at:
Attractions and facilities
- Free admission
- Free on site parking
- Disabled access
- Drinks facility
- Friendly, fully trained staff who can help with your family and local history inquiries
- Access to resources on family and local history ranging in date from c1225 to the present day
- A range of local history publications for sale
- Free introductory sessions on the Ancestry family history database and our family history resources
- An hour’s free session with an experienced family history researcher who will help if you are starting out on family history or have hit a brick wall
- Workshops and courses in family and local history
- A paid research service if you would like us to do your research for you
- A chance to explore stories from the past and contribute your memories
All users are welcome to visit us to carry out their inquiries in person and there is no charge for access to the centre. However if you are unable to visit us we can carry out research on your behalf for half an hour or a maximum of one hour. The charge for the research service is £10 per half hour. The search forms and details are available on this website under the menu heading services, copy and research service.
Keep in touch
Simply search for Walsall Local History Centre when logged in to Facebook, then click on Like to follow us once you have found our page.
Internet users can now sign up to follow Walsall Local History Centre’s news and announcements via Twitter messages by visiting the centre’s page at twitter.com/WalsallLHCentre The centre’s Flickr page may be viewed at www.flickr.com/photos/walsallhistory.
Walsall Local History Centre
Telephone (U.K.) 01922 652212- (International) +44 1922 652212
This page was last updated on 21 December 2015