Secondary school admissions
Transfers to secondary schools in September 2014
As your child was born between 1 September 2002 and 31 August 2003 he or she is due to transfer to a secondary school in September 2014.
Walsall participates in an Inter-Local Authority (LA) Co-ordinated Admission Scheme along with a number of local authorities in the Midlands, including Birmingham, Dudley, Sandwell, Staffordshire and Wolverhampton.
The scheme allows you to express preferences for up to five secondary schools, rank them in order of preference and give reasons for your preferences, if appropriate (e.g., medical or social). The Walsall preference form allows you to apply for a place at any secondary school in or outside the borough, with some exceptions.
The following web pages tell you how to apply for a place for your child at secondary school. It also explains what happens if a Walsall school has more applications than there are places available. The admission criteria for every Walsall school are detailed in the school information pages within this booklet. If you intend to name a school outside Walsall, it is important that you obtain a copy of the maintaining local authority’s ‘Information for Parents’ booklet/leaflet, or visit the local authority’s website, which will detail the admission criteria for the school you would like your child/ren to attend. Please take the opportunity to find out as much as you can about the relevant schools before you express your preferences – The School Admissions team is here to help you.
- If you live in Walsall, please return the completed Preference Form to your child’s present Walsall Primary School by 31 October 2013.
- If you live in Walsall and your child attends a primary school outside Walsall, or a private school in Walsall, please return the form to School Admissions, Walsall MBC, 2nd Floor, Civic Centre, darwall Street, Walsall, WS1 1TP.
- If you live outside Walsall, you should complete a Preference form from your home local authority and return it as stated on the form.
Download our current admissions booklet
- View our Secondary Admissions booklet 2014 (PDF 609KB)
- Applications can be made online using the on-line preference form
Download supplementary information forms for the following schools
- Aldridge School - A Science College Music Scholarship Form (PDF 316KB)
- Blue Coat Church of England Academy (PDF 33KB)
- Blue Coat Church of England Academy Foundation Place Form (PDF 124KB)
- Shelfield Entry by Sporting Ability Application Form (PDF 180KB)
- Shire Oak Academy (PDF 53KB)
- St Francis of Assisi Catholic Technology College (PDF 115KB)
- St Thomas More Catholic - Business and Enterprise College (PDF 59KB)
Registration forms for the following schools are available on the school website
If you have any questions about the secondary school transfer process and would like independent advice, please contact the Choice Adviser.
Education Development Centre
Telephone 01922 686477
Telephone 01922 652585
This page was last updated on 27 June 2014