Secondary school admissions
Transfers to secondary schools in September 2016
As your child was born between 1 September 2004 and 31 August 2005 he or she is due to transfer to a secondary school in September 2016.
Walsall participates in an Inter-Local Authority (LA) Co-ordinated Admission Scheme along with a number of local authorities in the Midlands, including Birmingham, Dudley, Sandwell, Staffordshire and Wolverhampton.
The scheme allows you to express preferences for up to five secondary schools, rank them in order of preference and give reasons for your preferences, if appropriate (e.g., medical or social). The Walsall preference form allows you to apply for a place at any secondary school in or outside the borough, with some exceptions.
The following web pages tell you how to apply for a place for your child at secondary school. It also explains what happens if a Walsall school has more applications than there are places available. The admission criteria for every Walsall school are detailed in the school information pages within this booklet. If you intend to name a school outside Walsall, it is important that you obtain a copy of the maintaining local authority’s ‘Information for Parents’ booklet/leaflet, or visit the local authority’s website, which will detail the admission criteria for the school you would like your child/ren to attend. Please take the opportunity to find out as much as you can about the relevant schools before you express your preferences – The School Admissions team is here to help you.
- If you live in Walsall, please complete your on-line application by 31 October 2015.
- If you live in Walsall and your child attends a primary school outside Walsall, or a private school in Walsall, please complete your on-line application by 31st October 2015.
- If you live outside Walsall, you should complete a Preference form from your home local authority and return it as stated on the form.
The national offer date for secondary school admissions is 1st March 2016 (or the next available working day)
Parents who submit an online application for a secondary school place and request an email notification will receive details of the outcome of their child's application by email on Tuesday 1st March 2016. The emails will be produced and sent out by an automated process over the course of the day on Tuesday 1st March 2016.
Parents will also receive notification of the outcome of their application by a letter to be posted by second class post on Tuesday 1st March 2016.
The school admissions team can be contacted by telephone (01922 652585) between 8:45 am and 5:15 pm on Monday to Thursday and 8:45 am to 4:45 pm on Fridays. The team is permanently located at the Civic Centre.
Download our current admissions booklet
**Please note the amended open morning dates for Brownhills School: Tuesday 22 September & Wednesday 23 September 2015 from 9.15 to 10.30am**
- View our Information for parents - Secondary admissions booklet 2016 (PDF 589 KB)
- Secondary Admissions Information Leaflet 2016-17 (PDF 130KB)
- Applications can be made online using the on-line preference form
Download supplementary information forms for the following schools
- Aldridge School an Academy music scholarship form (Word 327 KB)
- Aldridge School an Academy supplementary form (PDF 106 KB)
- Blue Coat CE Academy Foundation Place supplementary information form (PDF 210 KB)
- Shire Oak Academy supplementary form (PDF 288 KB)
- Ormiston Academy Shelfield supplementary form (PDF 69 KB)
- Ormiston Academy Shelfield sports aptitude form (PDF 59 KB)
- St Francis of Assisi Catholic School supplementary form (PDF 83KB)
- St Thomas More Catholic School supplementary form (PDF 111 KB)
Registration forms for the following schools are available on the school website
- Queen Mary's Grammar School Boys www.qmgs.walsall.sch.uk
- Queen Mary's High School (Girls) www.queenmaryshigh.walsall.sch.uk
- Walsall Academy www.walsallacademy.com
- Shelfield Community Academy www.scacademy.co.uk
Parent Support Adviser (School Admissions)
If you have any questions about the secondary school transfer process and would like advice or support, please contact the Parent Support Adviser.
Parent Support Adviser (School Admissions)
Telephone: 01922 652578
Admissions and Pupil Place Planning
Telephone 01922 652585
This page was last updated on 18 September 2015