Secondary school admissions
Transfers to secondary schools in September 2015
As your child was born between 1 September 2003 and 31 August 2004 he or she is due to transfer to a secondary school in September 2015.
Walsall participates in an Inter-Local Authority (LA) Co-ordinated Admission Scheme along with a number of local authorities in the Midlands, including Birmingham, Dudley, Sandwell, Staffordshire and Wolverhampton.
The scheme allows you to express preferences for up to five secondary schools, rank them in order of preference and give reasons for your preferences, if appropriate (e.g., medical or social). The Walsall preference form allows you to apply for a place at any secondary school in or outside the borough, with some exceptions.
The following web pages tell you how to apply for a place for your child at secondary school. It also explains what happens if a Walsall school has more applications than there are places available. The admission criteria for every Walsall school are detailed in the school information pages within this booklet. If you intend to name a school outside Walsall, it is important that you obtain a copy of the maintaining local authority’s ‘Information for Parents’ booklet/leaflet, or visit the local authority’s website, which will detail the admission criteria for the school you would like your child/ren to attend. Please take the opportunity to find out as much as you can about the relevant schools before you express your preferences – The School Admissions team is here to help you.
- If you live in Walsall, please complete your on-line application by 31 October 2014.
- If you live in Walsall and your child attends a primary school outside Walsall, or a private school in Walsall, please complete your on-line application by 31st October 2014.
- If you live outside Walsall, you should complete a Preference form from your home local authority and return it as stated on the form.
The national offer date for secondary school admissions is 1st March 2015 (or the next available working day)
Parents who submit an online application for a secondary school place and request an email notification will receive details of the outcome of their child's application by email on Moday 2nd March 2015. The emails will be produced and sent out by an automated process over the course of the day on Monday 2nd March 2015.
Parents will also receive notification of the outcome of their application by a letter to be posted by second class post on Monday 2nd March 2015.
The school admissions team can be contacted by telephone (01922 652585) between 8:45 am and 5:15 pm on Monday to Thursday and 8:45 am to 4:45 pm on Fridays. The team is permanently located at the Civic Centre.
Admission to the Black Country University Technical College
Parents who wish to apply for a year 10 place at the Black Country UTC for September 2015 are invited to attend the following open events at the Black Country UTC:
Thursday 23rd October Open Evening 6pm - 8pm
For further information, please contact the Black Country UTC:
Download our 14 - 19 provision booklet
Download our current admissions booklet
Applications for Secondary School Admissions, September 2015 are now now closed. Please contact the Admissions and Pupil Place Planning team on 01922 652585 if you wish to submit an application.
- View our Info for parents secondary schools 2015 (PDF 492 KB)
- Secondary Admissions Information Leaflet 2015-16 (PDF 179KB)
- Applications can be made online using the on-line preference form
Download supplementary information forms for the following schools
- Aldridge School application form 2015-17 (Word 532 KB)
- Aldridge music scholars application 2015 (PDF 218 KB)
- Blue Coat Academy Foundation Place Application Form (PDF 209 KB)
- Blue Coat Academy Supplementary Information Form (PDF 36 KB)
- Shire Oak application form (PDF 45 KB)
- Shelfield Comunity Academy application form (PDF 112 KB)
- Shelfield Community Academy sports place application form (PDF 137 KB)
- St Francis of Assisi Secondary application form (PDF 83KB)
- St Thomas More Secondary application form (PDF 72 KB)
Registration forms for the following schools are available on the school website
- Queen Mary's Grammar School Boys www.qmgs.walsall.sch.uk
- Queen Mary's High School (Girls) www.queenmaryshigh.walsall.sch.uk
- Walsall Academy www.walsallacademy.com
- Shelfield Community Academy www.scacademy.co.uk
Parent Support Adviser (School Admissions)
If you have any questions about the secondary school transfer process and would like advice or support, please contact the Parent Support Adviser.
Parent Support Adviser (School Admissions)
Telephone: 01922 652578
Admissions and Pupil Place Planning
Telephone 01922 652585
This page was last updated on 16 February 2015