Willenhall regeneration area
Willenhall has avoided the extensive redevelopment that has affected many other settlements in the area. It is widely regarded as one of the most intact and unaltered small town centres in the Black Country. While mainly comprising nineteenth and twentieth century buildings, there are some earlier survivals and the irregular street pattern reflects the town’s medieval origins.
Much of the town centre is a designated conservation area and a programme of £1 million is currently being undertaken to support enhancements to local buildings, funded by Heritage Lottery and VIEW (Walsall Housing Group).
As part of the council’s Strategic Regeneration Framework a local Project Reference Group (PRG) has been developed. This group includes local councillors, members of the Local Neighbourhood Partnership and trader, business and community representatives and is supported by council and Walsall Housing Group (WHG) officers. The PRG meets as required and is tasked with helping develop a wide ranging consultation and engagement strategy for regeneration plans within the area.
Development of an Issues Report (Visit Willenhall Area Action Plan)
New major retail and proposal:
- Morrisons store opened in January 2010. Morrisons have contributed £125,000 of section 106 funding, which is currently being used for a number of environmental improvements that are taking place around the town centre.
Willenhall community arts project
- As part of the Morrisons retail store development, Morrisons made a contribution towards public art.
- The artist Ira Lightman was commisioned to work with the Willenhall community to produce the public art which is displayed on the rear elevation of the Morrisons store, facing Wood Street Cemetery.
District Centre improvements:
- £1million Willenhall Townscape Heritage Initiative
- Heritage Economic Regeneration Scheme (Supported by English Heritage and SRB) £600,000 plus improvements to buildings and the public realm.
- War Memorial enhancements - £70,000 improvements.
- Willenhall Strategic Regeneration Area backgroud details (PDF 128KB)
- Willenhall LNP Environmental Action Plan 2007-2008
Regeneration Development and Delivery
Economy and Environment
2nd Floor, Civic Centre
Telephone 01922 654752
This page was last updated on 24 October 2016