Supporting Walsall’s businesses
Walsall Works is an initiative set up by Walsall Council to support local businesses that are looking to expand and invest in their future workforce.
Our free service helps you to reduce recruitment costs, up-skill your workforce and find the right people for your team.
We offer an end-to-end recruitment service to local employers. Whether you are looking to expand your company or replace retiring staff, we provide easy solutions to help take some of the hassle and cost out of finding candidates.
Our dedicated account managers will work with you to give advice about the current labour market and support you with:
- A free recruitment and job matching service
- Grants of up to £6,000 when taking on local apprentices
- Access to a range of in-work training and bespoke short courses
- Sourcing of suitable candidates for work placements or trials
- Building partnerships between businesses, local schools and communities
Since 2012, Walsall Works have provided over 500 grants to Walsall businesses taking on local young people. These grants vary depending on the age of the apprentice and are as follows:
- £3,000 for employers taking on a young person aged 16 or 17 at a rate of £3.87 per hour
- £4,500 for employers taking on a young person aged 18 to 20 at a rate of £5.30 per hour
- £6,000 for employers taking on a young person aged 21 to 24 at a rate of £6.70 per hour
These financial incentives are to unlock new apprenticeships in businesses with fewer than 250 staff that work in our ‘growth sectors’ of Manufacturing and Engineering, Construction and Environmental Technologies, Financial and Business Services, Creative and Digital Services, Health and Social Care and Logistics
Through our network of training organisations and grant-funded providers, we can help you to identify options for accessing free and subsidised training to up-skill your current employees.
This is an excellent way to ensure that you staff are able to progress within your organisation and maintain their morale as they continue to develop.
To check if you are eligible and to apply for Walsall Works complete the online employer interest form.
This page was last updated on 31 August 2016