Occupational therapy
Service information

Occupational therapy

What do we do?

The Occupational Therapy (OT) Service offers support, advice and education about how to live independently. This means that we can provide people with:

  • Special equipment
  • Adaptations
  • Rehabilitation


To find out if giving you special equipment will help you remain independent we will talk to you and any relevant people in your life about what you can do and what you need help with. We call this an ‘assessment’. Then we may recommend certain pieces of equipment or adaptations. Here are some examples of what we can offer:

Special equipment to help with

  • getting in and out of bed
  • getting in and out of the bath
  • getting in and out of chairs
  • getting on and off the toilet

Any equipment that you need is free of charge for as long as you need it. We will also renew it when it is out of date or replace it if it is broken.  If we are not able to supply you with special equipment we will let you know where you can get it yourself. Unfortunately, we cannot sell any equipment.

You may be able to get other items of equipment from other places like hospitals, physiotherapy clinics, your doctor’s surgery or from district nurses.


Adaptations refer to large or small changes to homes that are recommended by the occupational therapist. Small or minor adaptations refers to new fixtures that are fitted in your home, for example:

  • grab rails
  • second banisters or stair rails

A large or major adaptation may be:

  • a vertical lift installation
  • a stairlift
  • a shower installation
  • extensions
  • larger ramps

Part or all of the cost of these can be met by the council giving a grant. The amount of money that you receive is dependant on how much money you have as income or savings. The money provided is known as a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). For further information regarding major adaptation provision please click here


Rehabilitation is offered to people who have been ill or who have a disability to help them to become more independent. We make this available to you either in your own home or in specific places such as Pinfold Day Centre. This day centre offers rehabilitation for adults between 18 and 64 years of age.

How do I get help?

To find out if you can get a service and equipment from us, you need to contact us. You can contact us for an assessment by calling the OT team direct or the locality office nearest to you. Our staff will let you know whether or not you may qualify for a service. We aim to complete an assessment within 28 days of receipt of a referral but if your situation is urgent, we will respond as soon as possible.

At the assessment we will ask you questions like:

  • What can you do for yourself?
  • What do you need help with?
  • What do you need to have done?
  • Does anyone help you or look after you at the moment?

You are welcome to have a relative or friend at the assessment. Your carer can also have a separate assessment for their needs, if they wish.

It does not cost anything to have an assessment. Your occupational therapist (OT) may also ask health colleagues or other people who work with you to contribute to the assessment to make sure all of your needs are included.

After talking to you, we will work out what help we may be able to give to you.

Once we have agreed with you what we can help you with, we will talk to you about how you want your needs to be met. All of this will be agreed between you and an occupational therapist, and will be written down in an OT plan. We will give you a copy of this plan.

If we cannot help you we will give you details of other agencies or organisations that may be able to help you.

What will it cost?

As stated above there are no charges for equipment. However, there are charges for most other social care services. If there is a charge for your service we will let you know as soon as possible. We will need to ask you questions about your finances to help us decide how much you will need to pay. For more information on what our services cost, go to our charging pages.

Contact us

If you feel that you or someone you know needs social care assistance, please use the following details for all adult social care queries:

·Telephone 0300 555 2922

·Fax 01543 372947

·Textphone 01922 654000

·SMS text 07834 114482

·Address Walsall MBC, Adult Social Care, 3rd Floor, Zone 3D, Civic Centre, Darwall Street, Walsall, WS1 1TP

·Email initialintake@walsall.gov.uk

This page was last updated on 22 November 2016