Thank you for your interest in a work experience placement with Walsall Council. By offering work experience placements at Walsall Council we aim to help you to:
- Find out more about the working environment within the Council
- Have an insight into the variety of careers within local government and help to inform your career choices
- Spend some time discovering which career is right for you
- Gain valuable work experience in a specific field to enhance your career development
How do I request a Work Experience Placement?
Firstly, take some time to read through the information below on the areas within the Council who are offering placements and a little about what they do.
Next, fill in the work experience request form below and send it on to the area you are interested in (contact details are included in each section).
Please Note: If a particular area you are interested in is not listed below, this is because they are not currently offering placements.
We do not hold waiting lists for placements, and we cannot contact other service areas that are not listed below to request a placement on your behalf.
Areas Offering Work Experience Placements:
Economy & Environment
The Employment and Skills Team can host work placements across the Economy & Environment directorate in a Business Support (Regeneration Assistant) capacity. Some of the duties of these placements would include:
- Providing general administrative assistance to the Strategic Regeneration Service
- Helping to handle enquiries from customers, businesses and partner organisations
- Assisting with organising events and workshops
- Updating and maintaining records, files and databases
- Attending meetings and events
To request a placement in Economy & Environment, email Walsall Works:
Telephone: 01922 654352
For information on the work the Finance Teams do, please view: Finance Team Information (Word 28.1KB)
To request a placement in Finance, email Carol Toddington:
Telephone: 01922 652324
Please Note: Finance take on 6 placements per year, none during the months of April and May.
Integrated Facilities Management
Integrated Facilities Management provide a varied service which covers the Maintenance Commissioning of corporate buildings and education sites, Contract Management, Commercial activity and Promotion of the service, Compliance, Cleaning, Caretaking, School Crossing Patrol Wardens, Catering, Curatorial services, Postal services for the Council and Events Management of Walsall and Darlaston Town Hall. For more information on the areas Integrated Facilities Mangement cover, please view: Integrated Facilities Management Information (Word 15.2KB)
If you would like a varied placement where you can learn all areas of our service, which will give you an insight into all aspects of Property Management please email Lisa Poppitt:
Telephone: 01922 650752
- Placement working hours will be 8am – 4pm with 1 hour lunch break Monday to Friday
- IFM can offer one work experience placement per week
- IFM are unable to accommodate placements during the months of March and April
The Council employs a team of lawyers to provide legal advice to members and officers to support their day-to-day activities. We are able to offer a limited number of work experience places to individuals who are interested in a career in the legal profession. The placement will give you a general overview of the different areas of law and the opportunity to attend some court hearings as well as shadow lawyers in the office.
To request a placement in Legal Services, email Tina Arrowsmith:
ICT (Information Technology)
For information on work experience in ICT please view: ICT Work Experience Pack (Word 1.69MB)
To request a placement in ICT, please email: email@example.com
Please Note: ICT offer 2 placements per year Applicants must be studying ICT and must either live or go to school in the Walsall borough.
Walsall Outdoor Pursuits are an Adventurous Activity provider and are licensed accordingly. We operate 3 centres; one dry side, one wet side and one narrowboat. We specialise in disability access which is a core part of our work. We are also accredited activity providers for DofE and provide expeditions both walking and canoeing UK wide. All activities available at our centres can be replicated out of borough if required (canoe river trips for example). For more information, please view our brochure: http://cms.walsall.gov.uk/WOP_Special_Schools_Brochure.pdf
To request a placement in Outdoor Pursuits, please email or write to Bob Ratcliffe:
Write to: Bob Ratcliffe, Manager. Aldridge Airport Outdoor Pursuits, off Bosty Lane, Aldridge, Walsall WS9 0QQ
- Outdoor Pursuits take one work experience candidate per week
- You must support your request with information as to why you would like a placement in an Outdoor Pursuits field (this must link to a chosen career in Outdoor education - only year 11 upwards is normally considered)
- You must provide details of a named contact at your school/college to verify courses/exams
- You should be willing to work the same hours as the shifts scheduled for the working week of your placement (5 days may include weekend or overnight working)
- You should be prepared that work may include overnight if for example the team are on an expedition or on a canoe camp.
Due to Confidentiality and DBS issues, Children’s Services are unable to offer work experience placements. However, the service is happy to offer talks on careers in Children’s Social Care/Social Work to groups of interested students. Anyone interested in this should email Kim Ford: firstname.lastname@example.org
3rd Floor, Civic Centre
Telephone 01922 655673
This page was last updated on 11 January 2017