The Litter Hit Squad is a joint initiative between Walsall Council and Walsall Borough Strategic Partnership - clearing litter and fly-tipped waste across the borough.
Littering and fly-tipping is illegal
All of us produce lots of waste as part of our daily lives. The vast majority of us dispose of our waste in a safe and proper way, by using the dustbin for small items or by taking bigger items to a council tip.
Other people choose to dump their waste on land which belongs to other people or at the side of the road. This is against the law. Fly-tipping is the illegal disposal of waste on land.
People found guilty of fly-tipping can face a fine of up to £20,000 and/or a prison sentence, for each and every disposal of waste. According to the law, we all have a duty to ensure that our waste is disposed of properly, even if we give our waste to someone else to dispose of it for us. This is called Duty of Care.
Littering and fly-tipping affects us all
- As council tax payers, clearing up rubbish costs us all money
- It can also be dangerous and even harmful to you or your children
- It spoils everyone's enjoyment of the environment
- It can cause serious pollution
What can you do to help solve the problem?
If you see someone dumping waste, be discreet but try to remember some details. The eyewitness checklist below gives you an idea of some of the things you should try to look out for. You can report flytipping on our street pride enquiry form or you can contact any of the following telephone numbers with the information you take down:
- Walsall Council contact centre: 01922 653344
- Minicom 01922 652137
- Walsall Council Environmental Health: 01922 653020
- Police: 0845 113 5000
Other steps you can take
Know what day your bin is emptied. If you do not know, you can find out from the council on 01922 653344. They can also tell you the opening hours of the council tips, which are located at Fryers Road , Leamore and Merchants Way , Aldridge.
If you have large items to dispose of, ask the council about the bulk collection service. The telephone number is 01922 653344.
If you know of any 'grotspots' that need tidying up, call in The Litter Hit Squad!
- Remember: Do not touch any waste. It may be harmful!
- Location (area, street name, house number)
- Day, date and time
- Type of waste (soil, rubble, furniture, burned-out cars, chemical drums etc.)
- Quantity of waste (van-load, truck-load, bags, drums etc.)
- Was a vehicle involved? (If so: make and type of vehicle, colour, registration number, noticeable markings eg. telephone numbers)
- Did you see the person fly-tipping? (If so: can you give a name or description?)
This page was last updated on 30 October 2014