Works to your domestic property (such as those listed in the Do I need Planning Permission section) classifies as householder works.

Some householder developments can fall within 'Permitted Development'. This is work that is approved to be undertaken without the need for planning permission, assuming the works stay within certain limits.

New rules governing house extensions and commercial changes of use coming into effect on 30th May 2013.

In brief, the key changes include allowing the following without the need for planning permission.

  • larger single storey rear extensions to residential properties
  • larger extensions to industrial and warehousing premises, shops and offices
  • conversions between office and residential uses
  • more flexible uses of shops, offices, residential institutions and agricultural buildings
  • easier conversion of premises for school uses
  • telecom installations in conservation areas

Please note : If you want to carry out one of the above you will still need to notify us of what you want to do.

Full details of the criteria and procedures are contained within the legislation and on the Planning Portal's website.

Further information:

Contact us

Regeneration - Planning and Building Control
2nd Floor, Civic Centre
Darwall Street

Telephone 01922 652677
Textphone and TextBox 0845 111 2910

Visit us

At the First Stop Shop

Office opening times

  • Monday to Thursday: 8.45am – 5.15pm
  • Friday: 8.45am - 4.45pm


Please view our complaints and compliments webpage where you can complete an online contact form or alternatively you can print and complete our comments, compliments and complaints form.

This page was last updated on 16 February 2015