Council tax direct debit information
The council recommends payment of council tax by direct debit.
Choosing to pay by direct debit means you can:
- Save money on postage and stationery
- Avoid travelling costs and queuing
- Avoid forgetting to pay on time and possibly being subject to court action
Payment of council tax by direct debit
You can choose to pay in
- 10 monthly instalments April to January
- 11 monthly instalments April to February
- 12 monthly instalments April to March
Payments can be made on either the 1st 10th 20th or 28th
This is based on a full years' bill issued in March. The number of instalments will be reduced proportionately for bills issued during the year, or late applications.
To pay your council tax by direct debit please complete the council tax direct debit instruction form (PDF 68KB) and return it to:
Walsall Council, PO Box 23, Walsall, WS1 1TW or alternatively telephone 0300 555 2851 and have your bank details to hand.
Once the form or bank details have been provided, we will update your council tax account and notify your bank / building society.
We will tell you your new payment details at least 10 days before any sum is deducted from your bank / building society.
The direct debit guarantee
- This Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits.
- If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit Walsall Council will notify you 10 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request Walsall Council to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request.
- If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by Walsall Council or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society.
- If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when Walsall Council asks you to
- You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify us
For further information view the direct debit website.
This page was last updated on 01 April 2014