Biography of current Mayor
Councillor Kath Phillips, J.P. was born at the rear of 13 Corporation Street, Caldmore, Walsall on 11 January 1947. Her family were re-housed by Walsall Council in 1952 to Grenfell Road, Little Bloxwich. Kath attended Little Bloxwich C of E Primary School and Bloxwich C of E Senior School.
Kath’s first job was at the Co-op in Bridge Street, Walsall working on the Perfumery Counter. The Co-op paid for Kath to go to Walsall College to study retailing. At 17 Kath joined Wilson’s dress shop in Park Street, followed by Granada TV Rental Company as a receptionist. Kath quickly became the Manager at the Bloxwich branch, progressing to become a tutor for the company, which took Kath all around the country.
Kath met her husband, Maurice at Walsall Football Supporters Club during a Valentine Evening. It certainly was “love at first sight”.
Kath and Maurice married in 1969 and went to live in Cheslyn Hay. In December 1969 they both joined the Labour Party. In May 1976 Kath became a Parish Councillor at Cheslyn Hay. In 1978 they moved to Great Wyrley and in 1980 became a Great Wyrley Parish Councillor.
In 1982 Kath was appointed a Magistrate, a role she has always enjoyed and still enjoys until retirement next January.
Kath has served as a School Governor at numerous schools covering a forty year period, the last appointment being Little Bloxwich. Kath is also an accredited Lay Preacher by URC.
Kath has always hankered to come back to her roots, moving in 1984 back to Bloxwich to Lower Farm Estate. By then Maurice and Kath had a family and life was good.
In 1998 Kath was asked by the Labour Party to consider standing for Council and Kath feels it has been a great honour and privilege for her to serve Bloxwich East continuously since then.
In June 2015 Kath was appointed Deputy Mayor and was very proud to serve in that role.
This page was last updated on 18 July 2016