Access to personal records (Subject Access Requests)

How do I access my records (SAR)?

access_to_personal_records_form_only-2.pdfAccess to your personal records

Under the Data Protection Act you have the right to view all the information Walsall Council holds about you. Under the Act you are entitled to the following:


  • A copy of the information held about you
  • The purposes for which the information is being processed
  • A list of recipients to whom the data may be disclosed
  • An explanation of any codes used

To provide this information we "May" charge a fee of £10.00.




All subject access requests must be made in writing and addressed to:

The Information rights and complaints team
Information, Communication & Technologies
Walsall Council
The Council House
Lichfield Street

Telephone 01922 650950

You can get further information about making a request by reading the leaflet below “Access to Your Personal Records”.

This leaflet also contains an optional form (click here PDF 176 KB) which you can complete and submit to the address above to make your request.

Please Click "Here"  acessing_personal_info.jpg (PDF 314 KB)


Your request should include the following information:

  • Your Full Name.
  • Your current address.
  • Your contact telephone number, if you have one.
  • You will also need to provide details of any other addresses you have lived at within the borough and any other names you have may have used previously.
  • Finally, it is useful to us if you can provide a brief summary of any specific information you are looking for such as dates or details of any council services or council officers you have had dealings with.


Your request should be accompanied by 2 forms of identification. Copies are acceptable and should include a utility bill to confirm your address and a passport or birth certificate to confirm your name. The Council is permitted to charge a fee of £10.00 for provision of all information under the DPA, but this charge will not be applied, unless the request is considered to be particularly large or onerous.

Other acceptable forms of identification include:

  • Full valid current passport
  • Driving Licence (with or without photograph)
  • Local bus pass
  • Birth/adoption/marriage certificate
  • Identity card issued by a recognised local employer
  • NHS medical card
  • Council or social landlord rent book
  • Allowance/benefit/pension book
  • Letter from a responsible person (e.g. solicitor, doctor, minister of religion, teacher etc) which says they know the applicant and confirms their name and address
  • Recent council tax bill

The copies can be posted along with your request or the originals can be brought into the Council offices where they will be copied and the originals returned.


If you are making the subject access request on behalf of someone else you will need to also submit signed written approval from the person in question prior to any information being released.


We will acknowledge your Subject Access Request and as soon as we are clear on what information you require and have the relevant Identification.

Under the legislation we have 40 calendar days to provide a full response to your request. The time starts once we are satisfied we have all the information outlined in points 2, 3 and 4 if applicable.


Once all the information has been collected we will contact you to either arrange to collect a copy of the information or for you to come in and see it.

It must be noted that only information relating to you will be released. Any third party information that may be on your records will be removed, unless the other person or persons in question have agreed for their data to also be released.

How the Council uses your information

The DPA controls the way organisations that record personal information use it. It says that organisations must make sure that information is-

Fairly and lawfully processed

Processed for limited / specified purposes

Adequate, relevant and not excessive

Accurate and up to date

Not be kept for longer than necessary

Processed in line with your rights

Kept securely

Not transferred to countries outside of the European Economic Area without adequate protection

If you have any concerns about how your personal information is being processed by the Council, you should contact the Information Governance & Assurance Service in the first instance who can review how your request has been handled.

Contact details are below.

Complaints about the handling of your request will be responded to within 20 working days or in exceptional circumstances 40 working days.

If you remain dissatisfied, you can contact the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). This is an independent authority, which regulates the DPA.

Contact us

The Information rights and complaints team.

Information, Communication and Technologies
Change and Governance Directorate
Walsall Council
Civic Centre
Darwall Street

Telephone 01922 650950

This page was last updated on 16 February 2017