Social Sector Size Criteria
Housing Benefit changed from 1 April 2013 for people who rent from a social sector landlord
A size limit rule was introduced to Housing Benefit for working age people renting from a local authority, a registered housing association or other registered social landlords. By working age we mean anyone under state pension credit age. The new rules will restrict the size of accommodation you can receive Housing Benefit for based on the number of people in your household.
What should I do now?
- Speak to your Landlord as soon as possible. Your Landlord will help you to find out exactly how these changes will affect you and talk to you about what your options may be.
- Speak to us, the Benefit Service, to discuss possible options open to you.
- Speak to your local Citizens Advice Bureau. This service provides a wide range of confidential advice.
- Shelter offers confidential housing, welfare benefits and debt advice through a network of advice services; free phone housing advice helpline on 0808 800 4444.
- You can get more information about housing benefit at www.gov.uk.
Social Sector Size Criteria Team
Telephone 01922 654550
This page was last updated on 09 November 2016