Benefits - reporting changes

Reporting changes

You must report changes in your circumstances

Your benefit/reduction has been calculated on the information you provided. This information is detailed in your benefit letter which tells you how much you are entitled to.

Walsall Council is responsible for dealing with :

We do not deal with Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance or other state benefits – these are dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or your local Jobcentre and you must also tell them of any changes in your circumstances.

If these details have changed or change in the future you must tell us straightaway!

Please see the reverse of your letter for details of changes you will need to tell us about or at Council tax reduction FAQ or Housing benefit FAQ

You don’t need to tell us:

  • Of a rent increase if you are tenant of a Housing Association  as they will inform us
  • Of any April uprating of state benefits (e.g. Retirement pension as the Government inform us of these.  

What happens if you don’t tell us:

  • We may be paying you less benefit/reduction than you are entitled to
  • We may be paying you too much benefit/reduction
  • An overpayment will occur that will be recovered from you
  • You could be investigated for Fraud and face a fine, prosecution and even imprisonment

Contact us

When you contact us we will advise you if you need to confirm the change in writing or if we need you to provide supporting information.

You can tell us about any changes by phoning the Benefits Service on 0300 555 2855. You can also tell us of your changes by using our benefit/reduction – reporting changes online form. For other ways to contact us please view our Benefits/reductions contact information

If you are a tenant of:

You can claim benefit/reduction, report changes in circumstances or provide supporting information at one of your landlord’s offices.

This page was last updated on 09 November 2016