Street Trading - Walsall town centre
At a meeting of the Licensing and Safety Committee for Walsall Council on the 16 October 2013, it was resolved that as from the 1 December 2013 all streets within Walsall town centre, as identified, are licensed streets for the purposes of street trading. This resolution allows the greater flexibility of street trading within Walsall town centre, and supports economic regeneration and further supports businesses that bring opportunities to the borough.
Street trading explanatory notes
- All streets within the borough of Walsall have been designated as one of three types:
- Prohibited streets - no trading is allowed;
- Licensed streets - traders must obtain a licence from the council, and trading can only take place from a fixed site in the street;
- Consent streets - traders must obtain a consent from the council, and trading of a mobile nature is envisaged.
- All applicants are asked to decide in which street(s) they wish to trade and then consult the List of areas prohibited and licensed for Street Trading, given at the bottom of this page, to ascertain in which category the street lies.
- The applicant must then decide whether his or her trade is a suitable one, bearing in mind the designation of the street (i.e. fixed site for licence street; mobile trade for consent streets). All fixed site applications must be accompanied by a site location plan, which must show the exact proposed trading position.
- The application must be accompanied by the relevant fee:
- New applications: A £50.00 administration fee is payable at application, should the application be successful the £50.00 fee will be deducted from the licence/consent fee.
- Renewal Applications: The application should be accompanied by the relevant licence/consent fee.
- The fees, with effect from April 1 2013, can be found here - Street Trading Fees 2015 - 2016 (PDF 27KB).
- Applicants may not commence trading until their application has been processed and a licence has been issued.
- Applicants are asked to note that all permits will require renewal with effect from 31 March in each year irrespective of the type and/or duration of permit issued.
Application forms and further information
- Application form - Street Trading Licence (PDF 107KB)
- Application form - Street Trading Consent (PDF 108KB)
- List of areas prohibited and licenced for Street Trading (PDF 34KB)
- Street Trading conditions (PDF 64KB)
For enquiries about obtaining or renewing a street trading licence please contact:
Telephone 01922 653050
If you have a complaint about a street trader please contact our enforcement team:
Telephone 01922 653060
This page was last updated on 26 September 2016