Street Cafe Licences

Street Cafe Licences

If you want to place tables and chairs outside your premises on a public pavement, you will need to apply for a street café licence.

This is a requirement under section 115E of the 1980 Highways Act and is designed to ensure cafés operate safely and attractively without interfering with other legitimate uses of the street.

Operating a street café without permission is unlawful.

Planning permission may be required for the use or for any ancillary works and this must be clarified with the local planning authority for the area. Contact your planning authority if in doubt about whether permission is required.

Public liability insurance of £5 million is also required.

How to apply

Contact us

Licensing Unit
Regulatory Services
Walsall Council
Civic Centre
Darwall Street

Telephone 01922 653050

This page was last updated on 26 September 2016