Sex Establishment Licences

Sex Establishment Licences

If you are running a sex establishment in the borough you must ensure that it is licensed.

Sex establishments must be licensed under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, as amended by the Policing and Crime Act 2009.

The definition of sex establishment includes:

  • sex cinemas, at which R18-certificate films can be shown
  • sex shops, which are premises, vehicles or stalls used for selling, displaying or demonstrating sex articles (which may include R18-certificate videos and DVDs) or other things used in connection with sexual activity or acts of force or restraint associated therewith
  • sexual entertainment venues, which are premises at which entertainment comprising live sexually stimulating performances or displays of nudity is provided in front of an audience, for the financial gain of the organiser or performers. Provision of such entertainment on no more than 11 occasions per year, with at least a calendar month between each occasion, will not require a sex establishment licence.

Applying for a sex establishment licence

Applicants for sex establishment licences must be over 18, and not be disqualified from holding a licence (for example, because they have been refused a licence in the previous 12 months, unless that refusal was subsequently overturned on appeal).

In addition to completing an application form, applicants will be required to advertise their application by placing a public notice in a local newspaper or similar publication (to appear within seven days of making the application), and for applications relating to premises, by displaying a notice on the exterior of the premises where it can be conveniently read, for 21 days from the date of application. Templates for these notices are provided with the application form.

Related Documents

If you require any additional information, including details on a transfer or variation of the licence, please contact the Licensing Unit direct.  

Contact us

Licensing Unit
Regulatory Services
Walsall Council
Civic Centre
Darwall Street

Telephone 01922 653050

This page was last updated on 26 September 2016