Licensing Act 2003 temporary event notices

Temporary event notices

Under the Licensing Act 2003 temporary event notices (TENs) are available for short-term alcohol and public entertainment licensing.

The system involves an event organiser (the "premises user") giving a TEN to the licensing authority and copying this to the police and the local authority exercising environmental health functions.

TENs can be used to authorise relatively small-scale ad hoc events held in or on any premises involving no more than 499 people at any one time. The premises user must, no later than 10 working days before the day on which the event is to start (or 5 working days if serving a "late TEN"), give at least one copy of the notice to us, together with the prescribed fee.

Anyone aged 18 or over can have a maximum of five TENs per calendar year (2 of which may be "late TENs"). Personal licence holders can have maximum of fifty TENs per calendar year (10 of which may be "late TENs").

TENs are subject to other maximum limits, as set out below:

Each event covered by a TEN can last up to 168 hours


  • No more than fifteen TENs can be given in respect of any particular premises in any calendar year, subject to a maximum aggregate duration of the periods covered by TENs at any individual premises of 21 days in any calendar year.


  • There must be a minimum of 24 hours between events notified by a premises user or associates of that premises user in respect of the same premises.


Provided that the criteria set out above are met, only the police or the local authority exercising environmental health functions may intervene to prevent an event covered by a TEN taking place or agree a modification of the arrangements for such an event.

For postal or hand delivered applications the original form must be submitted to the Licensing Unit, with the requisite fee, and copies sent to The Licensing Officer, West Midlands Police, Walsall Council, Civic Centre, Darwall Street, Walsall, WS1 1TP and  to Environmental Health, Walsall Council, Civic Centre, Darwall Street, Walsall, WS1 1TP.

Application form

Apply by post

Download an application form for a Temporary Event Notice (Word 168KB)

Apply online

Apply online for a Temporary Event Notice

Contact us

Licensing Unit
Walsall Council
Civic Centre
Darwall Street

Telephone 01922 653050

This page was last updated on 12 October 2016