Animal movement licences

Animal movement licences

Guidance on the application for an animal movement licence and the latest conditions.


Following the Foot and Mouth outbreak of 2001 the regime of licensing which controls the movement of a range of animals has been improved and enhanced. The most common animals whose movements have to be licensed are sheep, pigs, cows and goats.

The conditions which apply to these movements vary according to the type of animal, the destination and the type of trip. It is important that you make yourself aware of the latest conditions when applying for a movement licence if you are an animal farmer or anyone involved in the movement of farm animals.

In certain conditions all that is necessary is for you to complete the licence and forward the copies to the relevant authorities. The licences can be obtained from your local DEFRA office. All the information regarding the conditions are available on the DEFRA website

This page was last updated on 26 September 2016