Health and safety
Walsall Council's Environmental Health team inspects workplaces, investigates accidents and complaints and promotes health and safety in the workplace including welfare of employees and the safeguarding of others, principally the public, who may be exposed to risks from work activities.. We are responsible for enforcement at over 3,299 business premises in the Walsall area.
The primary responsibility for ensuring health and safety in the workplace lies with those who create the risk, and in particular employers need to make suitable and sufficient arrangements for managing health and safety. Currently Health and Safety enforcement in the United Kingdom is split between Local Authorities and the Health and Safety Executive.
Officers within the Environmental Health Division are responsible for enforcing the provisions of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 in 3,299 premises for which the Council has enforcement responsibilities. These premises include warehouses, offices, shops, consumer services and residential care homes. The range of activities undertaken by the officers are detailed in our service plan and include:-
- Investigate accidents and seek to prevent recurrences
- Inspect premises on a routine basis for compliance with health and safety legislation . These are carried out on a priority based system. The frequency of our visits is determined by factors such as the type and size of premises, the work activity and the health and safety history of the premises
- Investigate and resolve complaints relating to workplace conditions
- Promote health and safety awareness to employers and employees by providing information, advice and participating in national campaigns
- Register and licence skin piercing and tattooist establishments
- Provide advice to business including sending out a wide range of free explanatory leaflets
- Provide advice to workers. Employees who are experiencing health and safety problems at work or who have any concerns or queries may need to discuss their situation with someone outside their workplace. We can provide advice and/or deal with the query as a complaint
Your comments on our service
Please contact us at the address below:
Telephone 01922 653010
You can use our online contact form for general enquiries, compliments and complaints.
This page was last updated on 15 February 2017