Blue Badge Scheme
The Blue Badge Scheme is a national arrangement of parking concessions for people with severe walking difficulties who travel either as drivers or passengers. The scheme also applies to people who are registered blind or severely sight impaired, and people with very severe disabilities in both arms who regularly drive a vehicle but cannot operate or have considerable difficulty in operating all or some types of parking meter. It allows badge holders to park close to their destination, but the national concessions apply only to on-street parking.
This scheme is governed by National Eligibility Criteria set out by the Department of Transport.
Government announcement of changes
In February 2011, the government announced several important changes to the Blue Badge Scheme to make it fairer and more consistent across Local Authorities in applying for a badge as well as tackling misuse and fraud. The Government have also appointed a new company called Northgate Information Systems to help Local Authorities administer the scheme more effectively as part of its overall Blue Badge Improvement Service (BBIS). These changes came into effect on Sunday 1st January 2012.
The changes include:
- creating a new national database of Blue Badges
- the redesign of the blue badge making it harder to alter, copy or forge; the new badge will be made from PVC and PET instead of cardboard and will therefore be more robust
- Walsall Council will no longer make up and distribute blue badges. The government has appointed a company to redesign, print and distribute the new badge. These new badges will be harder to alter or copy.
- arranging the personalisation, printing and distribution of the new badge by a single supplier; this company will assist the Local Authority in administering the Scheme, not replace it.
- extending the scheme to cover armed forces service personnel and veterans and children under the age of three
- Make an enquiry regarding blue badges
- Report a blue badge as lost/stolen
- Report the misuse of a blue badge
- Request a blue badge application form
Blue Badge Team
First Stop Shop
Telephone 01922 653560
This page was last updated on 22 April 2015